The AIA Dallas Design Awards program is seeking entries responsive to expression of beauty, poetry, site condition and context, inspiration, process, and environmental, economic, and social impact.
The AIA Dallas Design Awards celebrate outstanding achievement in architectural design by AIA Dallas chapter members and AIA Northeast Texas section members. The purpose of the awards program is to honor the architects, clients, and consultants who work together to achieve design excellence, both in the metropolitan area and around the globe, and to elevate the value of architectural practice in the local community.
AIA Dallas recognizes the immense role and responsibility architects have in mitigating the negative impacts of the built environment on the natural environment. To bring the AIA Dallas Design Awards program into closer alignment with the AIA’s Position Statement on Sustainable Practice and the AIA’s 2030 Commitment, the Project Information Form now includes a narrative description of how sustainable design and building performance strategies have been integrated with the project’s broader design goals.
Early Submission Deadline and Fee: September 11, 2017 at 5:00pm, $135
Final Submission Deadline and Fee: September 22, 2017 at 5:00pm, $150
- Entrant must be an AIA Dallas chapter or AIA Northeast Texas section member and licensed architect or a firm comprised of AIA Dallas members and licensed architects.
- The primary design must be executed by a local AIA Dallas chapter or AIA Northeast Texas section member. In the case of joint ventures and design collaborations, appropriate credit must be given in the submission regarding the responsibilities of each firm or individual.
- An entry may be any building design, interior architecture, restoration, or urban design/planning project completed since January 1, 2012.
- The entry cannot previously have been a winner in the category for which it is being submitted. Projects previously awarded in a different category (Unbuilt Design Award, People’s Choice or Press Choice Nominations) are eligible for submission.
Design Authorship: Each submission must recognize and give appropriate credit to the entrant/designer, the consultants, and all other collaborators involved in the design process. Failure to properly recognize collaborators may result in disqualification.
The AIA Dallas Design Awards Program uses a paperless, electronic submission process.
Each submission must consist of the following:
- Completion of all form fields on the AIA Dallas Design Awards submission portal
- Entry title, location, and size
- Client’s name and address
- Names and addresses of the entrant/designer, the consultants, and other collaborators to receive credit; each entrant is responsible for giving proper credit where joint ventures, design collaborations, firm name changes or former partnerships are involved; disputes regarding credits may result in disqualification.
- General contractor’s name
- Date of construction completion
- Photographer credits
- A Project Information Form (download) with all applicable form fields completed, including project title, location, size, name of client, completion date and brief text (no more than 200 words) describing the basic design requirements and concepts. New this year, the Project Information Form has been expanded to include a description of environmental performance goals and strategies.
- Up to 12 slides (as JPEG files), to include drawings, diagrams, and photographs as necessary to give the jury a thorough and comprehensive understanding of the entry.
- All drawings, sketches, and photographs submitted should represent the project as it exists in the built environment. Images may be edited to improve color balance, contrast ratio, and composition through cropping. Images may not be edited to add, remove, or alter any aspect or element of the project including its context. Artistic composition must not confuse the jury as to the nature of the project. Entrants must identify the photographer(s) for each shot included in the submission. All content is submitted with the permission to publish the project from both the owner(s) and the photographer(s). Any entry that fails to meet these requirements is subject to disqualification.
- Each submittal must contain RGB JPEG slides (including RGB JPEG text and RGB JPEG plan files).
- The slides must have an exact height of 2400 pixels and an exact width of 3200 pixels (vertical views also have an exact height of 2400 pixels) – no exceptions.
- The maximum number of slides allowed is 12.
- The images should be named with a double-digit numerical sequence for viewing by the jury. Slides will also be on display in sequential order at any exhibitions. (i.e. “01.jpg” for the first image, “02.jpg” for the second image, etc.)
- Firm must not be listed on the slides or Project Information Form. Entries that violate this requirement are subject to disqualification.
- Please consider text size and legibility when composing slides.
Release Waiver: By submitting an entry, entrants take full responsibility for the accuracy of all information submitted and warrant that all necessary permissions have been obtained from others who may have rights to the work. Entrants further acknowledge that no royalty or compensation is due to anyone, hold AIA Dallas, its sponsors, staff, consultants and members harmless from all liability and grant to AIA Dallas the non-exclusive right to publish, reproduce and distribute copies of the original entry.
Submissions will be judged on the skill, creativity and thoughtfulness with which they resolve the functional, formal, and technical requirements of the project. As submissions are subject to varying degrees of opportunity, constraint, and budget, each entry is judged for the success with which it has met its individual requirements. Jury decisions will be based solely on the materials submitted, it is therefore important that submissions convey to the jury a full understanding of the project. The Design Awards Committee or the jury may make any interpretations necessary to carry out the program’s intent.
The Built entry fee must be submitted at the time of entry. The fee is $135 by Monday, September 11, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. The fee for entries submitted after that time is $150. No entry fee will be refunded.
Entries will be accepted beginning on Wednesday, August 23, 2017. Design award submissions are due by 5:00 p.m., Friday, September 22, 2017. All materials stated above must be submitted at this time. No entries will be accepted after this time.
Feel free to contact AIA Dallas (214.880.1506) or the Design Awards Committee Leadership:
2017 Chair: Blake Thames, AIA, email@example.com 214.458.6978
2017 Vice Chair: Robert Croysdale, AIA, firstname.lastname@example.org 214.824.7040